Search the Internet with Google!

Custom Search

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Local Tiger Euthanized :-(

This past Tuesday, September 9, the Jackson Zoo euthanized my "friend," Phoenix, the Sumatran Tiger.

I can't stand going to zoos, but my husband and I went to the Jackson Zoo last fall and I was absolutely horrified at the living conditions of those animals. "Grazers" were living in small fenced in areas filled with nothing but dirt (no grass on which to graze) - the whole scene was heartbreaking.

I had a somewhat of a personal experience with Phoenix though. The zoo was fairly empty, and as my husband and I walked up to Phoenix's cage (we are HUGE cat-people) it's like he knew we were "friends." He rubbed the side of his cage, gave me a look like "I wish you could scratch my head," or maybe it was a look of "I'd like to take a bite out of you," either way, he was interested in us. About the time I started sweet talking him, he turned around... and my experience with male cats says, "if they point their rear toward you... run!!!" So I jumped backward about two feet and sure enough, had only just escaped a massive tiger spray! It is said that they will spray for two reasons, to mark territory / personal "belongings" or to mark their food. I don't know which reason it was, but I felt a connection with him. Although I am sad to know he lived his life in a cage and has now passed, I'm glad his spirit finally knows freedom.

I will say one thing in closing; I've lived in several states in the Southeast and by far, the most impressive and animal friendly zoo I've ever visited is the giant one in
North Carolina. True, sometimes you may not even see certain animals because they are off in the edge of the woods, but that zoo has created a wonderful habitat for all of their wildlife and I'd rather know I may not see some animals because they are off doing their own thing, then to know they are going to be feet from me, in cramped up cages with no natural habitat what-so-ever.

Here is the article about Phoenix, and why they had to put him down, from the Clarion Ledger (Jackson's Newspaper):
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/FEAT05/80909013

In case you missed the above link to the North Carolina Zoo I have it listed below. If any zoo is worth visiting and supporting, this one is the one to see!
http://www.nczoo.org/

No comments: