Search the Internet with Google!

Custom Search

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Earthworms

Every morning I sit on my front porch with my coffee, if only for a few minutes, and I keep noticing the same disturbing thing: MANY earthworms crawling on my sidewalk. Now this may not be strange in itself and for a long time I figured they were just going from one section of the yard to another and using the sidewalk as a quick path. I've even scooted some of them along in their direction with a leaf, carefully setting them into the grass to avoid being stepped on by either my husband or myself. After putting them into the grass, they slide back onto the sidewalk again and end up drying out up there when the sun gets bright.

Why are they doing this? And even more on my mind is why will the birds not eat them before they dry up all over my sidewalk?

I keep ending up with several dozens of dried-up earthworms out there everyday and their bodies don't leave til we have a giant rain.

Can someone, anyone, give me an answer to this "earthworm suicide" that continues to happen on a daily basis?

No comments: